I am quite obsessed with memoirs, and one of my favorite memoirs is Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn. Since reading it years ago, I've often wished he would write another - and late last year I found out about a play he had just published, Alice Invents a Little Game and Alice Always Wins.I finally read it this week, and while I can't say I completely understand it, I really loved it. It reminded me a bit of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, probably my favorite play, (thanks to my AP lit teacher!). Flynn's afterward is beautiful, and helped put light on the play itself. I would love to see this on stage - especially with Lili Taylor, who did a production of it in 2006, and whom I just read has a child with Nick Flynn. This play is dedicated to her. Cute!
Overall, I hope hope hope Nick Flynn writes more, very soon. I plan on reading Another Bullshit Night again in the near future.
This checks one more book off my TBR list. 7 down, 17 to go, and what ... four months left? I've got to get reading ... I'm about halfway though with Dharma Bums, hopefully I'll get that finished soon.

2 comments:
would you say that it's a comedy or a drama?
I actually don't know - it really lies in that area some where in between. It is funny, but a sad kind of funny.
Post a Comment